Todd,

Thanks for responding. Good question... A while ago our devops found that
this flavor behaved better in some aspects (mainly the reading of full
frames, including VLAN tags, into the cap buffers). They also seem to
provide some stability / portability in the face of kernel changes, and, at
the same time, ability to use higher versions without too many kernel
dependencies.

We're also seeing some other vendors' patches being done against this tree.

I'm not overly familiar with the politics / raison d'etre of the separation
between the two trees. Would you be recommending not to use the out-of-tree
driver version?

Currently, we're having an issue with the LED Blink function ("ethtool -p")
not working when an I350 based NIC has a copper SFP inserted. Also,
subsequent removal / insertion of the SFP seems not to initiate the desired
port reset. This is somewhat independent of the original question I posted,
although still related.

Cheers,
Doron