Hello list,

I am working on a software emulation of a NIC and
I am trying to understand how xl710's transmission works.

According to the spec transmit scheduler uses round-robin
policy and for each Queues Set it does 4KB (Quanta) of work.

Spec also mentions in A.2:

    "Quanta can span multiple transmit queues and multiple
     descriptors. It is up to the transmit processing logic
     to decide how many descriptors and queues use. Queues
     assigned to the same Queue Set have same priority and
     arbitrated round robin by processing logic."

It looks like the transmit logic works on the transmit Queues
in round-robin fashion as well. But the spec doesn't say what
is the "Quanta" the transmit logic uses for each transmit Queue.

I wonder how much work in (bytes or time) the transmit processing
logic does per transmit Queue assigned to a Queue Set?

Assume the most trivial configuration, no TC/VEB/BW limit or any
fancy stuff configured, only a single VSI with a single
Queue Set of N queue-pairs (N is number of cores).

Thanks,
Alex