At 03:42 PM 9/20/2005, David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
>On Tuesday 20 September 2005 02:12 pm, Eugene C. Braig IV wrote:
>
> > Does anybody know of any variations composed on La Folia for guitar
> > from ca. 1830-1900?
>
>Nap Coste, op 38, no. 23(?) D minor.  It starts with La Folia but
>it's not exactly a theme with variations, it's more of a fantasy.
>daveA

I think you have no. 24. in mind.  I've listened to McFadden's recording of
the op. 38 and played through the opening bars of no. 24 myself a few times
last night.  This is similar to la Folia, maybe even directly inspired by
it, but it doesn't quite fit the progression; it doesn't move to VII or III
where it should.

Eugene