On Wednesday 21 September 2005 09:37 am, Eugene C. Braig IV wrote:
> At 03:42 PM 9/20/2005, David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
> >On Tuesday 20 September 2005 02:12 pm, Eugene C. Braig IV wrote:
> >
> > > Does anybody know of any variations composed on La Folia for
guitar
> > > from ca. 1830-1900?
> >
> >Nap Coste, op 38, no. 23(?) D minor.  It starts with La Folia but
> >it's not exactly a theme with variations, it's more of a fantasy.
> >daveA
>

> I think you have no. 24. in mind.

I have two editions which have different numbering.

  I've listened to McFadden's recording of
> the op. 38 and played through the opening bars of no. 24 myself a few
times
> last night.  This is similar to la Folia, maybe even directly inspired
by
> it, but it doesn't quite fit the progression; it doesn't move to VII
or III
> where it should.

It isn't a theme and variations, formally.  It fits the progression
well enough, especially considering that Coste could have considered
the bass progression or the chord progression or both.  The main thing
is that there could have been no doubt whatever in the author's mind
that his theme was La Folia.

If you don't want to consider it because it's not strictly a theme and
variations, fine, but the theme itself is plenty close enough IMO.
daveA

--
The only technical exercises for all guitarists worth a lifetime
of practice: "Dynamic Guitar Technique".  Nothing else is close.