I think we were able to stablish some three reasons for placing little finger
on the belly (bridge or whenever suitable):

1. to fix position of the hand (Sor and Aguado)
2. to fix position of the guitar (Aguado)
3. as an "innocent" technique unrelated to tradition (Bill)

And, correct me if I'm wrong, we have following reservations against the
practice:

1. that it dumps the soundbard and affects the sound (? - I was told that by
Bill)
2. that it creates muscle tention (your truly)
3. that it is not necessary for anything (Sor and Aguado)

I wonder if there are opinions in support of the practice? I mean strong
support, just like Sor would write: what to do and what for?

BTW from personal communications with Matanya Ophee I get to know that Renoir
did not paint actual model (it was so good a theory...) but copied another
painting. I was offered with no details, alas.

Best regards
Krzysztof