----- Original Message -----
From: "Krzysztof Komarnicki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "rob" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "'early-guitar'" <early-guitar@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 5:47 AM
Subject: [EARLY-GUIT] Odp: Sor's technique (was pinkie discussion)

And nobody yet toched upon Sor's concerts reviews (there were some, weren't
they?). We should check if some critics remarked upon Sor's sound. This is
the only record of actual sound of Sor we have access to.

------

The Button dissertation contains the following comparative review of Sor and
Joseph Anelli by no less a figure than Fetis:

"We regretted the sounds Sor drew from the guitar were not sufficently
cultivated; it appeared to us that he had neglected to study this essential
part of the instrument...Joseph Anelli, on the contrary, has felt that the
great charm of the guitar principally consists in producing good sounds...at
once clear, sonorous, mellow.."

I may be wrong of course but, playing Sor's music, it always struck me that
his right-hand was not very facile, something reinforced (reading between
the lines) in the Methode; also in the La sentinelle defence, but especially
by the music.

Stanley