Stanley wrote:

> There is, of course, no "perfection" in musical expression, but Sor would
> surely have gotten a bit closer to it had he had at his disposal the
> technical possibilities of many of his contemporaries.

I understand: 'Sors compositions would have gotten closer to musical
perfection, had Sor had Giuliani's right hand'. But I ask: to make use of it
wouldn't he have needed Giuliani's brain as well?
Do you regard Sor as a frustrated guitar composer?

> Compare the style of expressive vocabulary of Giuliani in op 15 to
> Matiegka
> in op 17 - sonatas written within 2 years of one another in the same city.
> There is no normal practice that can account for both. And there is no way
> two musicians - then or today - could mark up plain versions of those
> scores
> and come up with the same result. So, the question remains, why is Sor's
> music so sparce in this regard

Would you suggest that Sor had not enough subtlety in his RH to produce
different articulations?

regards,
Paul