At 05:13 PM 1/26/2006, Arthur Ness wrote:
>Hoboe = German for oboe.

Of course, (as far as I know) derived from the French hautbois.  "Hobo" is
still rather comical in English.

Sorry, I can't comment on Sor's intended nail length in describing an
oboe/hoboe/hautbois/hobo effect.  I would never speculate this has anything
to do with historic technique, but I can describe my practical and sadly
semi-unHIP approach.  If I am ever paid to play, it is almost always on
modern guitar, so maintaining nails is a practical necessity.  If I cut my
nails very short, still a little will protrude, but engaging such nail in a
string pluck requires a very odd and uncomfortable angle of
attack.  However, I prefer a more "fleshy" sound on early strings.  I keep
my p through m nails tapered strongly shorter on the attack side to allow
the use of little or no nail on early plucked strings (the strong curl of
my a and c nails doesn't allow such a taper, but those fingers don't often
come into play in most efforts on early strings).

Best,
Eugene