At 06:16 PM 11/25/2007, Christopher Stetson wrote:
>Hi, all,
>Thanks for the advice.
>
>Yes, mine has quite a bit of velocity when it leaves home, too.  BTW, it's
>the 1st string (standard issue classical guitar nylon) that's given me
>trouble.  I've gotten the overspun 6th string to stay in just
>fine.  Haven't tried the others yet.  I"ve tried the holding in trick, but
>haven't gone to full tension, assuming it would need to stay in on it's
>own eventually.  Rob, do yours hold at pitch after you hold it in?
>
>To Jelma; it's new guitar, though not from a artisan builder.  I thought
>it was a problem with peg fit, but a guitar dealer said no.  It made
>sense, since a steel string stays in just fine, so I assumed it was the
>missing "ball" that was the problem.  I fugured that the knot (I've got 4
>stacked up on each other now) was slipping into the slot and applying
>pressure vertically to the soundboard, thereby pushing the pin out,
>whereas the ball (I imagine) gets lodged under the board and therefore
>applies pressure to the pin horizontally to the soundboard, thereby
>pushing the pin against the side of the hole.  Anyway, I'll try the paper
>trick.
>
>I'm sure it will work out.
>
>Best,
>C.

Is this a new guitar built to carry steel tension?  If I may pry, what
make?  A modern build for modern wire strings will almost certainly have a
heavy X-brace positioned specifically to prevent "bellying" of the
soundboard under high-tension steel...and not be particularly well
responsive to gut or nylon.  Carry on with my best wishes, but just be
aware the sound might not be that for which you'd hoped.

One affordable alternative that is a bit closer to but still isn't quite
like 19th-c. guitars (although it is designed to function properly under
nylon or even gut) is the La Patrie "Motif":
<http://www.lasido.com/lapatriee.htm>

La Patrie is a brand of the same company that makes the Seagull "Grand"
parlor guitars.

Regarding the double knot I'd mentioned for b and e' before, it's like a
simple overhand/half-hitch typically used to put a knot mid-string;
however, pass the tag end through the loop twice before tightening the knot.

Best,
Eugene