Christopher Stetson wrote:
Hi, all,
I'm fairly new to this early guitar thing, and I just got a small parlor
guitar.  I'm wondering if anyone has any hints for mounting gut or nylgut
strings to a pin-style bridge.  I've tried just tying a knot, but it keeps
popping out the pin about a 4th lower than target pitch.  I've thought of
putting a bead or the little washer from a steel string into the knot, but
haven't yet tried it.  Any advice or experience would be appreciated.
Best, and keep playing.
Chris.

I've got a 19th century guitar with pin-style bridge. But I'm using nylon strings - though I'd like to try gut some time.

Just tying a knot seems to work fine - after I got the hang of it. The way I have done it on my guitar is to tie a simple knot at the end of the string, then poke the string through the peg-hole in teh bridge, then put the peg in, aligning the string with the groove on the peg. Then tighten up slowly with pauses, sometimes pushing the peg back down.