On 08/01/2018 15:07, Åke Sandgren wrote:

On 01/08/2018 01:58 PM, Caspar van Leeuwen wrote:
I disagree, because the requirement that the variable 'BAR_BIN' that is set is
a requirement from Foo, not a 'feature' from Bar. Bar knows absolutely nothing
about this variable, and is very happy to run without it - thus it has no place
in a Bar module. To illustrate that more: what if someone tomorrow develops a
Foo2, which requires another environment variable 'WHERE_CAN_FOO2_FIND_BAR' to
point to the Bar executable, would you reinstall Bar and put this additional
variable also in the module file of Bar, just because Foo2 needs it?
Yes, I would re-make the module file for Bar with that env added.

I agree with Caspar on this one: this is a (stupid, but fine) runtime configuration variable for Foo, it just happens to point to something provided by another module.

So, it should be included in the module generated for Foo, not for Bar, for the exact reason that Caspar outlined.

We shouldn't go and let the Bar module jump through hoops because the latest hype of the month decides it wants to reinvent how the environment works...

regards,

Kenneth