On 25/04/2019 15:47, Mikael Öhman wrote:
Hi John,

I was planning on building an R for gimkl, since I experienced problems with R with OpenBLAS.

For this purpose, I submitted a few PRs of the dependencies, UDUNITS, ICU, PROJ. I took the opportunity to move them down the hierarchy, so, please build on top of those:
https://github.com/easybuilders/easybuild-easyconfigs/pull/8108
https://github.com/easybuilders/easybuild-easyconfigs/pull/8109
https://github.com/easybuilders/easybuild-easyconfigs/pull/8110
I wanted to make sure to put as much as possible in as "low" level as possible, as I wanted to build a gimkl version of R.
-------
I got a libgeotiff @ GCCcore as well, but I had asked the developer if version 1.5.1 was stable and he alerted me that the whole GDAL + PROJ + GEOS + libgeotiff is still not vetted to work together with proj 6.0.0. So a downgrade might be necessary here. Reference:
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/geotiff/2019-March/000861.html
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/geotiff/2019-March/000862.html
-------
So NLopt is still missing. I was looking at NLopt, which had been moved down to GCCcore. By it's description, it sounds like a software that might benefit from iccifort, so perhaps it should be at GCC+iccifort level instead? I'm not sure if icc offers a compelling performance benefit or not here, or if NLopt is consuming enough core-hours for us to care.

There is a lot of R extensions already. And, rgdal brings out a lot of dependencies. No users at our clusters are the least bit interested in this extension. Can't we have a separate module for this extension? This would avoid the whole GDAL+PROJ mess, perhaps delay it until they have sorted out the support (GDAL 2.5.0 (currently in RC) should support it, as far as I can tell).

I wouldn't mind fleshing out rgdal, it has been a bit of a PITA for a while.

Removing rgdal from the list of extensions for R may result in having the remove others (which require rgdal) though...

So that means we should add another separate bundle of R libraries (rgdal + stuff that depends on it)?

regards,

Kenneth

Best regards, Mikael

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 8:51 AM Kenneth Hoste <kenneth.ho...@ugent.be <mailto:kenneth.ho...@ugent.be>> wrote:

    Dear John,

    On 24/04/2019 23:37, Dey, John F wrote:
     > R-3.6.0 will be released on Friday April 26.  I will create a
    foss-2019a
     > and foss-2018b easyconfigs based on the 3.5.3 (pr #7900).  I will of
     > course use easy-update to get the latest versions of packages. Does
     > anyone have any suggestions for additional packages or other changes
     > before I submit a PR?

    First of all, thanks a lot for looking into this!

    I think you should only submit a PR for R 3.6.0 using the foss/2019a
    toolchain, since we stick to a single version of R per toolchain
    generation in the central repository.

    Also make sure you're using the latest R easyconfigs from the develop
    branch (which is R 3.5.1 currently, see

https://github.com/easybuilders/easybuild-easyconfigs/blob/develop/easybuild/easyconfigs/r/R/R-3.5.1-foss-2018b.eb),

    since we add some extensions to the latest R easyconfigs from time to
    time...

    regards,

    Kenneth

    <mailto:jf...@fredhutch.org <mailto:jf...@fredhutch.org>>