On Thu, 27 Apr 1995, Jayne S Docherty wrote:

> This response, while humorous, only applies if you are willing to reduce
> human violence -- against people or the planet -- to testosterone.  If
> that is the case and we are willing to say that about men, then we have
> accept that certain "female" behaviors are caused by our hormones.  Are
> you willing to have someone explain your behavior as reducible to chemistry?

Actually, menopause has made me VERY aware of the fact that my behavior
can often be explained by chemistry; food allergies also make me aware of
this.

While I may resent it when someone implies that my behavior is, at a
particular moment, motivated by chemistry and not by conviction,
intellect or any other "correct" factor, the fact remains that chemistry
plays a part.

How about when you were pregnant, Jayne?  Did you think, feel and behave
in the same ways then?  Boy, feminist I might be (and I was even MORE of
one then), I can't get around the remarkable things which happened to me
during that intensely hormonal time.

What do our scientific list members say about this?  Is it one of those
things, like the meat/veggie debate, upon which we must agree to disagree?

And if it's NOT testosterone, or some other uniquely "male" factor
responsible for the ills of the world, why, then, are we so mad at the
poor guys?

Faith