I don't know, maybe I've stumbled into a magic queendom on another
list, but there we have become a community.  There are 263 subscribers
and we have a code.  it wasn't planned or formalized, we just think
alike and it is supportive and honest.  Maybe it is just a magic
moment in time, but I wouldn't have missed it.  

Come to think of it on another list, PNEWS, which is filtered through
a person, personal flaming is just not allowed.  Ideas can be
attacked, but not people.

As a long time activist, I know that "spamming" activists with flyers
and mail and phone calls doesn't do it unlessthere is a person
attachedto it who has earned respect and friendship.  (Much to the
chagrined downfall of those who would be organizers.)

On Tue, 6 Jun 1995 13:45:45 -0500 you wrote:
>I've been screwing around with this medium for close to a year now and am on 
>the verge of being convinced that we who play in these cyberrealms have sold
>ourselves a bill of goods as we strive valiantly to convince ourselves that   
>a "virtual community" is in reality the same thing as a real community and
>neighborhood of flesh and blood people, warts and farts and all.
>
>I don't know whether the Internet will ever evolve into an effective tool for 
>social, political, economic, or ecological action and activism.  Such tools 
>work only in the real world, not the virtually concocted facsimile thereof.  
>Such tools work only when weilded by real people who know how to communicate 
>with other real people.
>
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Carol Meeds
Jupiter, FL

Reply via email to