Ronnie:
         Guess I'm being paradoxical again.  On one hand I'm advocating
        going with the anthropocentric approach because humans are in
        charge and we can't uninvent things.  (Maybe some day we can?)  On
        the other hand I'm advocating replacing the patriarchal system with
        a partnership model, even though doing that is also a monumental
        task.  My only consistency is that I put the welfare of humans
        first in both cases.  (I believe the patriarchal system is bad for
        humans.)

        Peer pressure is the key - working to build consensus to change the
        system.  On the global level, I think we ARE moving (slowly)
        towards a new world order with things like the Internet to
        eventually be able to take a worldwide vote on things such as
        protecting whales.  Unfortunately, the current enforcement
        mechanism (the U.N.) is extremely weak.

        Population - IS relatively under control in the developed
        countries.  Most of the work is needed in developing countries.
        Maybe if we, the developed countries, work harder on our per capita
        consumption problem we'd have more credibility in trying to
        convince developing countries to use birth control.
                                                                Al