All *Men* are not the enemy.  In fact, out of the men that are alive right now,
I'd say very few of them are my enemies.  It is this system of oppression which
has been growing, changing, shifting, and exploiting ever since humans began
settling down and owning property and controlling others that is the real
enemy.  It is true that this system has been predominantly governed by men, but
again, I hesitate to make this generalization, for it is only a small
percentage of these men who have the power to perpetuate the system.

We are ALL (both men and women) a part of this system.  We are all at "fault"
for continuing to accept and allow this system to put restrictions on what is
acceptable behavior or lifestyles for people to live.  However, how much
control do we have over our own behavior?  Are we merely doing what we have
been taught to do?  Now, I think that's just an excuse, don't get me wrong.
People must unlearn what they have been trained to believe, they must stop
blaming others for all the problems in this world, they must learn to control
their individual actions before they run around pointing fingers at the
"enemy."  But I think it is important to realize that not all humans are aware
of thier roles within the system, of the "blood on their own hands."  We don't
need to accept or commend people who continue to oppress and violate others (or
the environment, etc).  But I feel that is important to at least try and see
what forces went into creating all of us.

I identify myself first as a human being, second as a woman.  No, not a womyn,
or a wimyn, or as a person with a vagina (true though that may be).  I see
nothing wrong with identifying with one's sex.  Some traditional "male"
qualities are wonderful qualities to have just as some traditioal "female"
qualities are wonderful to have.  I feel that a person should identify
him/herself as s/he chooses to - if that means a man wants to wear dresses,
fine.  If he wants to lift weights and spit tobacco, fine too.  If a woman
wants to drive a truck, fine.  if she wants to be a homemaker, fine.  To each
his/her own.  I don't believe that our aim should be androgyny - I believe it
should be self-defined awareness that does not impinge on others rights and
identities.  I am proud of being a woman, the woman that I am, and the woman
that I will become.  I am also proud of the men in my life - my father is the
most wonderful man in the world and I proudly have taken his name as my mother
has; I have wonderful feminist male friends who I can truly depend on, often
more than many of my female friends.

If society develops to androgyny, I suppose there is nothing I can do about it,
I suppose it is not "wrong."  But, is there something wrong with the acceptance
and embracement of the positive qualities of the feminine and the masculine?
What is wrong with being proud of who we are?

Tj.