***********
SCHOLARSHIPS FOR ECOLOGICAL STUDIES
***********
(For further details, email your postal address to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.)

The Educational Foundation of America is funding scholarships for U.S.
citizens to attend courses on ecological issues at Schumacher College in
southwest England. Courses are between one and five weeks in length. The
scholarships are for people who can best use the knowledge they gain at
Schumacher College to contribute towards a sustainable America.

Of particular interest to subscribers to ECOFEM may be the course
'Technology, Nature and Gender', taught by Vandana Shiva and Andrew
Kimbrell, a three-week residential course in September 1997. (Further
details available on request.)

Schumacher College is an international centre for ecological studies which
aims to explore the foundations of a more sustainable, balanced and
harmonious world view. Courses are one to five weeks in length, and are led
by world-renowned writers and thinkers, including: Fritjof Capra, James
Hillman, Vandana Shiva, David Abram, Paul Hawken, Karl-Henrik Robert, Henri
Bortoft, Helena Norberg-Hodge, Richard Douthwaite, Martin Khor, James
Lovelock, Brian Goodwin, Wendy Harcourt, Stanislav Grof, Rick Tarnas,
Charlene Spretnak, Terry Tempest Williams, David Orr, Thomas Moore and
Robert Sardello. A full programme of courses is available on request.

WHAT ARE THE COURSES ABOUT?
Subject areas of courses centre around one of the following themes:
ecological economics and development issues; the links between philosophy,
psychology and ecology; the new understandings emerging from recent
scientific discoveries.

THE SCHOLARSHIPS
Schumacher College wishes to award the scholarships to individuals who are
now or are likely to become influential in their communities. They may be
working or studying in the fields of education, environmentalism, public
administration, journalism/media, community work, or green business. More
information on eligibility and application procedures is given at the end of
this message.  We would be grateful if you could pass these details on to
any potential applicants you know.

Schumacher College strives to achieve diverse student groups on all courses.
The EFA fund will be used to support this policy, and applications are
welcomed from a wide range of social, ethnic and age groups.

Finally, we would very much like to hear your suggestions as to how we can
best inform people active in the fields mentioned above of these
scholarships. If you know of any national associations, media outlets,
conferences etc. that would be an appropriate medium for publicising the
scholarships, please do let us know.  We want this grant to help us reach
out to groups in the U.S. that would not otherwise have come into contact
with our work. Our e-mail address is <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

<N.B. Unfortunately, because the intention of this grant is to widen the
base of U.S. participation, past participants in our courses will not be
eligible for these scholarships. Sorry!>

***
FORTHCOMING COURSES
***

2-22 February
GLOBAL ECOLOGY, GLOBAL ECONOMY:  A NORTH-SOUTH PERSPECTIVE
Martin Khor, Richard Sandbrook & Wolfgang Sachs

9-27 March
EARTH-PHILOSOPHY & SPIRITUALITY
Henryk Skolimowski

6-18 April
CONSCIOUSNESS, PAINTING & THE ENVIRONMENT
James Hillman & Margot McLean
(includes annual Dartington Conference on Time and Timelessness, April 9-13)

20-26 April
GAIA THEORY
Stephan Harding & James Lovelock

4-24 May
LIVING SCIENCE CREATIVELY
Brian Goodwin, Margaret Colquhoun & Henri Bortoft

1-21 June
THE ECOLOGY OF COMMERCE:  THE NATURAL STEP
Paul Hawken, Karl-Henrik Robert & Jonathon Porritt

29 June-25 July
PHILOSOPHY, COSMOLOGY & CONSCIOUSNESS
Rick Tarnas, Will Keepin, Charlene Spretnak & Stan Grof

7-27 September
TECHNOLOGY, NATURE & GENDER
Vandana Shiva & Andrew Kimbrell

12 October-1 November
WILD MIND
Terry Tempest Williams & David Abram

2-22 November
LIVING UNIVERSE & EARTH MYSTERIES
Rupert Sheldrake, John Michell & Ralph Metzner

30 November-13 December
MYTHOLOGY & METAPHOR
Robert Bly & Martine Praechtel

11-31 January 1998
BUDDHIST ECONOMICS
A.T. Ariyaratne & Sulak Sivaraksa

8-28 March
SCIENCE & GOD
Miriam Therese MacGillis, Mae-Wan Ho & Keith Ward

********
SCHOLARSHIPS - ELIGIBILITY AND APPLICATION PROCEDURE
********

Who may apply?
U.S. citizens who:
*  are now, or are likely to become, influential in their communities.
*  are working or studying in the fields of:
        education
        environmentalism
        public administration
        journalism/media
        community work
        green business.

How to apply:
*  Ensure you have read the College prospectus and current programme
(available on request, contact details at the end of this message. Or send
your postal address to this e-mail address, and we will forward details.)
*  Select the course you wish to attend from the College programme
*  Submit a completed application form with two supporting letters from
employers, colleagues, professors or others familiar with your work

Recipients of the scholarship will be asked to:
*  Be interviewed by a member of College staff at the end of the course
*  Submit a short written report within 30 days of the end of the course
*  Take part in a phone interview with a member of College staff three
months after the end of the course to assess the benefits of the scheme

Financial conditions:
*  The scholarship includes the cost of tuition, accommodation, food and
outings but excludes travel expenses
*  Those who can afford it, or can raise some funding, are asked to make a
contribution of at least 20% of the course fee to our scholarship fund.
Those unable to make such a contribution to the course fee should include a
letter with their initial application asking for a waiver of this condition.

10 scholarships are available each year in 1997, 1998 and 1999.

Schumacher College strives to achieve diverse student groups on all courses.
The EFA fund will be used to support this policy, and applications are
welcomed from a wide range of social, ethnic and age groups.
---
Schumacher College is an international centre for ecological studies and a
department of The Dartington Hall Trust, a registered charity.

For further details of Schumacher College and its courses, please contact:
The Administrator
Schumacher College
The Old Postern
Dartington
Totnes
Devon TQ9 6EA
UK
Tel: +44 (0)1803 865934
Fax: +44 (0)1803 866899
Email: ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Please note: all addresses on our mailing list are treated as confidential.
We undertake not to sell, rent or lend our mailing list to any other
organisation. If at any time you wish to be removed from our list, please
let us know.
---