I'm sure I am beyond the scope of a H.S. essay here, but I felt it
necessary to respond to some of the comments.

In regard to the Little Mermaid, it was written by Hans Christian
Anderson, one of the great misogynists of children's literature.  If
anything, after dealing with a lot of feminist criticism about Snow White,
Cinderella, etc. Disney attempted to update Ariel to a contemporary
standard of femininity.  The subsequent merchandising of the doll makes it
clear however, that Ariel is nothing more than Barbie with red hair and a
fin.  Anyone have problems with the "woman as animal" scenario?  I think
the woman/fish wanting to become human to be with a man has already been
stated.

You and I know that Disney is not history, but my five year old does not.
The power of iconography is real and strong.  Walt knew it and so did the
Grimm Brothers.  That's why these stories have so much power and why the
images are internalized only to come out often, when it is too late to
change them.  Parents can provide alternate imagery and icons for
children, which we do, but no child can be kept from culture for long.  By
the time they are between six and seven, what their peers think is far
more important and who knows what those parents have been teaching, or
should I say doing.  Kids always imitate the behavior they see, not how
you tell them to behave.  More proof that the image is more important.

>From an ecofeminist perspective, we like the Pocahontas story.  We counter
that with the "real" history of the person.  However, the eco
consciousness and the fact that in the movie Pocahontas does not marry
John Smith is very strong.  The first has led to the child's personal
decision to become a vegetarian.  As for the second, she often recounts
the alternate version to us by saying something like, "well you know that
didn't really happen just like that..."

I am often sad that movies and books are around.  We also tell many
stories orally.  The story of Thanksgiving is a good example.  As we grow
and change, and different things are more relevant in different years, the
story changes.  It becomes longer and more details are added.
Unfortunately, we felt a child should not go to school without knowing
some basic cultural history which includes Snow White, Cinderella, The
Three Little Pigs, etc.  From the beginning she has also received
alternative versions of the same stories, or stories about real step
mothers from her parents.

My typical response to the new things she comes home from school saying is
usually, Wimmins Land is sounding better and better.

Randi Zimmerman

"In the process of infinate beginnings, even immortality is mortal."
                                    -- Trinh T. Minh-ha