RE:  Bad Iconography - the little mermaid was kind, smart, talented, friendly,
funloving, joyous, adventurous and full of wonder of the world around her -
that was her image - why is that a bad image for little girls?

Bad Iconography - Pocohantas in the moving was smart, loved nature and the
animals, a good swimmer and diver, great canoer, befriended hummingbirds and
racoons, loved her father, looked to her elders for wisdom (Grandmother
Willow) loved peace and wanted to help stop a war - that was her image - Why
is that a bad image for little girls?

Bad Iconography - Beauty in Beauty and the Beast - Beauty was a lover of
books, kind to her father, dreamed of travelling and seeing the world, full of
hope and patient - that was her image.  Why is that a bad image for little
girls?

How would you change these images so that they present better images to your
young children?

Children can not tell the difference between fact and fiction - TRUE - if they
ask us for the truth - when they are old enough to understand the difference
between fact and fiction, we must be free to give it!

I was wondering - Are Disney movies - Art imitating life or life imitating
Art?

I agree that SOME Disney characters are bad icons for our children - Barbie
with her vanity and  materialism,  etc. . . SOME Disney characters have virtue
and true beauty and we can help our kids understand virtues and and aesthics
by storytelling and by discussing movies with them after we watch them - .

Thanks!  Angela