On Mon, 3 Oct 1994, Gene Hunn wrote:

To equate meat eating with wife beating and rape is, in my opinion, to
subscribe to the same sort of moral extremism that leads "pro-lifers" to
call first trimester abortions "murder" and to label fertilized eggs
"babies."  As I said before, to consider meat eating "murder" and plant
eating morally unambiguous is to assume a semantic distinction, that
between "plant" and "animal," that is "common sense" in English (but
perhaps not in other languages) can be relied upon to define absolutely
the boundary between good and bad, between what one should or should not
do.  The world is more complex than that, it seems to me.

Gene.