I think of "soul" as an entity's inviolate integrity...or...the QUESTION of an
entity's integrity, what the environmentalists call "inherent value," which isn't
something that humans give to or project onto the entity, but something that can
perhaps be recognized, or claimed (in faith and promise) as being "there," or
maybe most truthfully, must always and forever remain a question ("I defend you,
ancient Redwood..or genetically engineered fryer chicken...because I believe
there is something about you that resists, however silently, the utilization of
your space-time-body").  We sometimes feel ourselves or our loved ones to have
this inviolate integrity (what would flourish, if only given the chance, and even
rocks or mountains flourish if given the chance), and cross an empathetic bridge
between ourselves and others (in this culture, the big step is between races,
genders, etc., and between species).  I certainly do NOT think that this "soul"
(integrity) is immortal...on the contrary, it can be obliterated, buried, killed,
or murdered with amazing ease on our part.  I've translated the old world notion
of soul into this notion of space-time-body.  Does this make sense?  The old
notion of the immortal soul, I think is extremely dangerous...even if applied to
nonhuman beings because it gives us (them?) the old excuse to "kill 'em all and
let God sort 'em out."

Danne Polk
[EMAIL PROTECTED]