Sent:   Thursday, October 22, 1998 1:42 PM
To:     STUDIES IN WOMEN AND ENVIRONMENT
Subject:        Re: Looking for Gaia spiritual and/or religious movements

<<  I believe all people should be free and able
 to control her/his own destiny without poverty, sexism, and racism
getting
 in her/his way. But me believing this and trying to convince others to
 believe this is not enough.

Hi Candi,

You make some good points.

However,
If a person is in control of his/her own destiny then if things like
poverty,
sexism and racism get in his/her way - it is their own fault - right?
 They
were afterall in control?
Of course they are not to blame!

Sometimes things BEYOND our own control - cause poverty, sexism and
racism -
now how can we help that person deal with that position they are in -
if they
poor, we can help provide for them, feed them, provide clothing,
provide jobs
and  we can make laws that protect peoples rights and freedom and work
to have
them enforced.  We can believe (like you) in the right to riches,
freedoms and
the protection of individual rights (I like that!)  and help pass laws
and
provide through grass roots efforts.  Now what we believe does help!
 You/we
tell others to do the same thing and you start a chain reaction!  Now
your
self-respect is spreading to others!  The power of love has submerged!
 The
big corporations can't stop us from spreading love - setting up soup
kitchens,
supporting campaigns in defense of woman's rights, boycotting companies
that
sell non-green products etc.  When we love ourselves we are free to
love
others!  The only liberation we need is self-actualization!  Bullish on
people
who tell you that "you stand alone" or that "what you believe does not
count"
or that "greed is more powerful then love" they are wrong!

We need to feel sure about ourselves, believe in LOVE and know that
others
care and believe that we can make a difference!

Thanks!
Angela

"Kindness is contagious!"