Dear All:

This is the monthly reminder concerning subscription to ECOFEM.  If
you choose to unsubscribe, please use the instructions below rather
than sending your request to the list.  Using these protocol means
the rest of the list members are not bogged down by irrelevant e-mail
messages which result in excessive financial and/or time commitments.

The protocol for participating on ECOFERM are also included, and I'd
like everyone to take this opportunity to refresh themselves about
the list's general "rules."

As always, if you have any questions or concerns regarding ECOFEM,
please feel free to contact me, as your ECOFEM coordinator, and I'll
see what I can do.

In peace,

Stefanie Rixecker
ECOFEM Coordinator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

For the commands listed below, send your messages to:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Do NOT send them to the [EMAIL PROTECTED] address as the entire
list will read them and no action can be taken by the system's
software.

In order to unsubscribe from the list, send this command in the
message space:

unsub ecofem

If you wish to bundle your messages (rather than receive each one
separately), you can command the system to create a message "digest"
by sending the following message:

set ecofem mail digest

At this point, I'd also like to take the opportunity to remind you of
the general protocol for participting on ECOFEM.  There are four key
protocol which include:

ACTIVE LISTENING--hearing & listening (i.e., reading & understanding)
are not identicial; conscious attention to respect for a speaker's
words AND potential meanings is essential.  Since "active listening"
sometimes requires clarification, especially in a medium such as the
internet, please be sure to ask for clarification and interpretion
PRIOR TO "flaming" someone.  The "problem" may simply require some
improved communication.

RESPECT--showing consideration for alternative viewpoints in a manner
which continues dialogue without denigrating the dignity of other
participants.

DIGNITY--remembering and acknowledging the personal integrity
(physical, intellectual, emotional and spiritual) of EACH
participant.

REFLEXIVITY--a willingness to emply self-critique and consider
collegial constructive criticism.

In addition to these protocol, a few netiquette procedures also
apply:

(1) STAY ON TOPIC--although ECOFEM is diverse & covers a range of
topics, please try to stay focused upon the connections with women &
the environment.  If topics stray, please take the discussion off
list, so the other members of ECOFEM are not distracted by the
tangent.

(2) STAY BRIEF--Although some topics cannot be discussed in short
sound-bites, it is best to keep your messages to a total of two (2)
computer screens.  Some subscribers pay for their use of ECOFEM and
excessive band width increases their costs.  This is also true of all
ECOFEM members in terms of their time, so try to stay focused and
relatively brief.

(3) COURTESY--related to the protocol above, please try to retain
common courtesy of conversation throughout the dialogue process.  It
is often quite simple to miscommunicate on the internet, so please
make an extra effort to clarify positions prior to jumping into
arguments or "flaming" others.  As ECOFEM coordinator, I reserve the
right to intercede in conversations and to remove individuals from
the list (should such measures be required).

That's the end of our public service announcement.  Now, back to
your regularly scheduled programing....

Dr. Stefanie S. Rixecker
Division of Environmental Management & Design
Lincoln University, Canterbury
PO Box 84
Aotearoa New Zealand
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]