Date sent:              Mon, 9 Nov 1998 05:52:53 EST
From:                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To:                     STUDIES IN WOMEN AND ENVIRONMENT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:                Re: Two Alternatives

> << value
>  and sanctity/sacredness to ourselves and our shared home.  Joe
>   >>
> Hi!
>
> Joe -  please - you can not convince me of my sanctity/sacredness and the
> Earth's sacredness if you do not answer the question WHY?  Why am I sacred?
> Why is the Earth sacred?  I agree we are - my answer is because of GOD - what
> is your answer?  Then if we agree - why would a GOD who created us and made
> thus making us sacred - stay hidden and not send a messenger to inform us?
> Then we would wonder does that God love us?  Your view is too simplistic - it
> doesn't delve into the WHY - people want to know why - why did God create us -
> why does God love us - why did God send his love in form of a son - why does
> the sun provide such warmth - keep asking WHY and you get your answers - if
> you answer your question with OK it just is that we are sacred - that doesn't
> cut if for me - WHY are we sacred?  By virtue of what are we sacred?
>
> Peace!
> Angela

We are sacred (or profane) when we make the decision to respect
our neighbors and hold our common home in reverence, or not to
do so.  It is WE who make and act upon those decisions, and it is
we who reap the rewards or suffer the costs.  Your answer is
"because of God"; with a simple gender change, it could be
"because of Goddess".  Why would the substitution of a cosmic
vagina for a cosmis penis render your reason incorrect?  What is it
that is so right in your eyes about a cosmic Creator that is so wrong
in them about a cosmic Creatrix?  Maybe it is because a Goddess
could not come down and fornicate with a man who could bear Her
a child, as a God could allegedly impregnate a woman.  If this is it,
what a ridiculous reason it is!   Joe