While I agree with the issues that Max Taub raises, I don't think that
relying on statistics is the answer. First of all, it is certainly true that
variation is important. In fact, a colleague of mine used to argue that
understand the variability of natural phenomena is more important than
knowing the mean values. If students look at scatter plots or histograms
they can see and discuss variability and try to interpret it. But if they
know their statistics they find it difficult to do this - they automatically
assume that all error distributions are normal and consider only the
standard deviation, no matter what the distribution looks like. In the
published literature you often see serious discussions of the variance of
highly skewed or bimodal distributions.

A particularly pernicious example of this is the use of normal distributions
to describe data where the numbers have to be positive, like lengths or
concentrations - what does it mean to use a normal distribution to describe
such a variable when the distribution gives a 20% probability that the value
is negative?

As for correlation, do you really need a statistics course to see a
relationship in a scatter plot? Max, your students will see a strong
negative correlation if you show it to them. But if they know their
statistics they will only be able to see a linear correlation - in fact, I
earlier posted an example of a scientist who presented a clearly nonlinear
correlation to a meeting and not only claimed it was linear, but used an
incorrect statistical test to prove that it was linear!

Statistics has the strange effect of making people blind to the obvious.

Bill Silvert