BCI WORKSHOPS – 2006

Bat Conservation and Management Workshops

Each year Bat Conservation International offers a comprehensive curriculum
for an introductory field workshop designed to train serious students of
bat conservation in the current research and management techniques for the
study of bats. Following an intensive 6-day and 5-night agenda, BCI
biologists and professional colleagues will bring workshop participants a
combination of lectures and discussions, field trips to view bat habitat
resources, and hands-on training to catch and identify bats. Learn species
identification, netting, radio-tracking, night-vision observation, and
habitat assessment, while working in extraordinary settings.

An Arizona workshop in the Chiricahua Mountains emphasizes western bats.
The Chiricahuas offer a biodiversity unequalled anywhere else in North
America. You can expect to see, and even to capture and handle, as many as
18 bat species in a single evening, and then watch endangered long-nosed
bats visit hummingbird feeders at your front door. Participants have also
enjoyed spotting ring-tailed cats, coatis, and trogans. BCI workshop
veteran Janet Tyburec, Dr. Katy Hinman, and Arizona Game and Fish
Department biologists will share a wealth of knowledge on species
identification (including by echolocation calls), bat conservation,
management, education, public health and nuisance issues, artificial
habitats, and much more. We will stay at the American Museum of Natural
History’s famous Southwest Research Station, where you will enjoy superb
dining with researchers from around the world.
Two sessions: June 12-17 and June 17-22, 2006. Each session limited to 15
people. Departure city: Tucson, AZ. Cost: $1295

Our Pennsylvania workshop highlights eastern bats and their habitats. We’ll
net, trap, and release bats over trout streams and beaver ponds, observe
endangered Indiana bats swarming at a mine entrance, watch 20,000 little
brown bats in a spectacular dawn return to their roost at a restored
church, and examine them up close. Workshop co-leader, Cal Butchkoski of
the Pennsylvania Game Commission, is a leading expert on surveying and
radio-tracking Indiana bats, as well as one of America’s most successful
builders of bat houses and other artificial roosts. He and Janet Tyburec
will share a wealth of knowledge covering all aspects of bat conservation,
management, education, public health and nuisance issues. Home cooking is
but one of many unexpected treats at historic Greene Hills Lodge, our
workshop headquarters.
One session: August 7-12, 2006. Limited to 20 people. Departure city:
Harrisburg, PA. Cost: $1295

A Kentucky workshop focuses on cave-dwelling bats, taking us to the heart
of America's karst country at the Cave Research Foundation's Hamilton
Valley facility. In the company of experts, we'll visit hibernation and
nursery caves of endangered gray and Indiana myotis, and learn how to
detect bats' prior use of caves and to identify habitat conditions that
meet their needs. Fieldwork includes netting and harp-trapping at cave
entrances and at nearby feeding and drinking habitats, with hands-on
identification of 10 Eastern species. We will visit bat gates with their
designers and also discuss habitat assessment, field research techniques,
bat houses, and public health issues.
One session: August 16-21, 2006. Limited to 20 people. Departure city:
Nashville, TN. Cost: $1295

ACOUSTIC MONITORING WORKSHOP

workshop session in conjunction with our Bat Conservation and Management
sessions in Portal, Arizona. The workshop will cover hardware and software
including Anabat, Pettersson and SonoBat, teach call identifications and
how to develop a monitoring program. Joining BCI's Janet Tyburec will be
acoustic experts Sybill Amelon, Joe Szewczak, and Ted Weller. The session
format will be similar to BCI's Bat Conservation and Management workshops
combining current research discussion with hands-on demonstrations and
field work. Each night we will be capturing bats and developing call
libraries so participants can return to their home study areas and begin
their own projects armed with knowledge and experience. BCI will have
equipment on hand but participants are encouraged to bring there own
systems as well. The Acoustic Monitoring Workshop is an advanced workshop
designed for graduates of previous BCI workshops and/or experienced bat
workers.
One session: June 22-27, 2006. Limited to 15 people. Departure city:
Tucson, AZ. Cost: $1295

For information and registration forms, visit www.batcon.org or contact
Kari Gaukler, BCI, PO Box 162603, Austin, TX 78716; 512-327-9721;
[EMAIL PROTECTED]