Postdoctoral Position in Plant Invasion Ecology (New Zealand)

=20

We have an exciting opportunity for a Postdoctoral Fellow to work in the
area of plant invasions. The position is based in the National Centre =
for
Advanced Bioprotection Technologies, Lincoln University, New Zealand in
collaboration with staff at Landcare Research, and is part of a =
three-year
funded project headed by Dr Richard Duncan titled "Predicting weed
naturalisation, spread and decline".=20

=20

Plant invasions are a problem in most parts of the world and New Zealand
ranks as one of the most invaded locations, currently having more
naturalised (wild introduced) plant species than native. There is an =
urgent
need to understand the complex process of invasion so that we can most
effectively limit the problems associated with introduced plants that =
escape
and spread in the wild. The Postdoctoral Fellow will undertake research
aimed at identifying factors that allow certain plant species to
successfully naturalise and spread when introduced to new locations. =
This
will involve collating and annotating existing large datasets of plant
naturalisation in New Zealand and Australia , statistically analysing =
these
data, and preparing scientific publications based on the analyses. In
addition, it will involve carrying out field and laboratory experiments
aimed at understanding the role of below- ground natural enemies in the
spread and decline of well established naturalised plant species. You =
will
join an active research group with strong national and international =
links
and a strong publication record in the area of invasion ecology. We are
looking for someone with a PhD in ecology or a related field, experience =
and
interest in invasion ecology, and strong quantitative skills.

=20

The position is funded for 3 years. For more information see:
http://www.lincoln.ac.nz/section269.html, Vacancy 06/11 or contact Dr
Richard Duncan ([EMAIL PROTECTED]). Applications close 17 March =
2006.=20

=20