Kristen,

I have used the garmin etrex GPS units for about 6 years now and LOVE
them. They may not be the most accurate available, but they are more than
adequate for our needs. We especially like that they will hold a location
even under a forest canopy. You might be wondering why I'm talking about
the etrex when the question was about the iQue M5. Well, recently I needed
to replace both my etrex GPS and my PDA. I got an iQue M5 and it is great
for most things I need from it. The iQue uses the same GPS as the etrex
models so it maintains a lock under a canopy (very important to us) and
will generally provide 4 - 5 m accuracy. All in all I like the iQue M5 for
data collection in the field.

Here are some of the iQue M5 strong points in my opinion.
1) Maintain a location lock under a canopy.
2) Adequate accuracy for most purposes
3) No cord between the PDA and the GPS. We ran this type of setup between
our Garmin etrex and Windows based PDA for a while. It was very useful but
the cord kept getting caught up in brush.
4) Will run programs like ArcPad or Ozzy Explorer to provide limited GIS
in the field. It is really helpful to be able to see where you are in
relation to the vegetation on a DOQQ rather than just where you are in
relation to roads, etc. With a shape file showing the 'unit' boundaries it
is easy to tell if you are in the right place. New points are easy to mark
in the field and simple shape files can be created in the field.
5) Simple programs in anything like HandBase (database program), Arcpad or
visual basic, etc. will allow easy data entry with error checking while
viewing previous measurements for comparison.
6) When traveling I use a windshield mount for the iQue and let it
calculate a route for me using MapSource City Select. When I approach a
turn the iQue will tell me (or I can shut that off) so that I don't miss a
turn. This is important when traveling to a new study site (if you know
the location but not necessarily how to get there) or when traveling in an
unfamiliar town. Next week I will use the iQue to help me find the hotel
and meeting location for the Coastal Plain Chapter of SER meeting. I just
type in the address or find it on a map and the iQue will get me there.
When I land at an airport I just enter the location (address) of where I
want to go and the iQue will take me there without any need to ask
directions. In the past I have used Microsoft Streets and Trips. While
that program is good, it was a bother to have to close individual maps and
load the next map over as I traveled. With City Select I can have nearly
1/2 of the US on one SD card (albeit a large SD card) and never have to
switch maps.
7) All the other features of a PDA. We load lots of photos, pdf files (for
ready reference, even in the field), databases, address book, calendar,
etc.
8) I have used the iQue (with the screen working as a very poor quality
flashlight) to find my way out of a swamp in northern Michigan, at night,
during a snow storm. . .

Weak Points
1) Even though the iQue is more than accurate enough for my purposes (I
use it to mark and then relocate study sites in the field) it may not be
adequate for some people's needs.
2) Not water proof. This is obviously important in the field. The PDAs do,
however, work pretty well in a ziploc bag.
3) I keep losing the stylus  . . .
4) Does not have the nice waypoint feature that I really like about the
etrex GPS units. Sometimes I need to mark several waypoints in succession
and I don't want (or have time) to name each waypoint as I mark them. The
etrex GPS units will number the waypoints sequentially while with the iQue
you have to name them as you make them.
5) Battery life my not be long enough for a whole day in the field if the
PDA is kept on most of the time. In that case there are battery extenders
or extra batteries.
6) The iQue is not the least expensive PDA on the market.
7) Like all PDAs, the screen is often difficult to see in the bright sun.
That makes it hard to record data.

BobK

Bobby D. Keeland, Ph.D.
USGS, National Wetlands Research Center
700 Cajundome Blvd.
Lafayette, LA 70506
Phone: 337-266-8663    FAX: 8592
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web: http://www.nwrc.usgs.gov/

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts - Bertrand
Russell

Hello everyone

I was wondering if anyone has used the Garmin IQue (specifically the M5)
for
field work.  I am contemplating getting one for my research and would like

any feedback.

Thanks
Kristen Kaczynski
CU Boulder