From: Dave Thomson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: Wall Street Journal op-ed on "An Inconvenient Truth"
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 12:56:50 -0700

Dan,

Disclosure: I am not an atmospheric scientist.  My work has occasionally
relied upon the atmospheric sciences, so I my professional interests
have supplemented my personal interest in this topic.

Dr. Lindzen's CV is quite impressive:
http://www-eaps.mit.edu/faculty/lindzen.htm (Take a look through his
"other publications" for more commentaries.)  Naturally I do not feel up
to the challenge of debating him on this issue.  However there are some
statements in his piece that are perhaps as distorted as (how he viewed)
the movie he aimed to critique.  Let me just offer a few points that
cause me to question the critique in general.

Dr. Lindzen entitled his commentary "There Is No 'Consensus' On Global
Warming".  I find that odd given the recent statements by the National
Academy and also (surprisingly) President Bush's own science panel on
the subject.  Perhaps Dr. Lindzen is referring to a difference of
opinion on the minutiae of global warming, but those are hardly the
stuff of popular movies eh?  I noted that he quotes the National
Academy's own statements in this paragraph:

"In a similar vein, the National Academy of Sciences issued a brief
(15-page) report responding to questions from the White House. It again
enumerated the difficulties with attribution, but again the report was
preceded by a front end that ambiguously claimed that "The changes
observed over the last several decades are likely mostly due to human
activities, but we cannot rule out that some significant part of these
changes is also a reflection of natural variability." This was
sufficient for CNN's
Michelle Mitchell to presciently declare that the report represented a
"unanimous decision that global warming is real, is getting worse and is
due to man. There is no wiggle room." Well, no."

I believe this is the statement he was referring to, in context:
http://darwin.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10139&page=1

"Greenhouse gases are accumulating in Earth's atmosphere as a result of
human activities, causing surface air temperatures and subsurface ocean
temperatures to rise. Temperatures are, in fact, rising. The changes
observed over the last several decades are likely mostly due to human
activities, but we cannot rule out that some significant part of these
changes is also a reflection of natural variability. Human-induced
warming and associated sea level rises are expected to continue through
the 21st century. Secondary effects are suggested by computer model
simulations and basic physical reasoning. These include increases in
rainfall rates and increased susceptibility of semi-arid regions to
drought. The impacts of these changes will be critically dependent on
the magnitude of the warming and the rate with which it occurs."

I note that Dr. Lindzen curiously omitted the strong statement that
begins the National Academy's paragraph, as well as the very informative
discussion that follows the sentence he quoted - to the benefit of his
thesis.  If I were at the National Academy I would be disappointed by
his characterization of their statement.  In fact my read of Dr.
Linzden's piece was so disappointing that I couldn't bring myself to
focus on it as well as the topic deserves... but let me offer one more
piece of evidence in my defense.  Dr. Lindzen on several occasions
dismisses statements on the relationship of hurricanes to global
warming.  Most notably in the following paragraph:

"Even among those arguing, there is general agreement that we can't
attribute any particular hurricane to global warming. To be sure, there
is one exception, Greg Holland of the National Center for Atmospheric
Research in Boulder, Colo., who argues that it must be global warming
because he can't think of anything else. While arguments like these,
based on lassitude, are becoming rather common in climate assessments,
such claims, given the primitive state of weather and climate science,
are hardly compelling."

This statement strangely ignores research coming from an atmospheric
scientist at the same university (perhaps their offices are side by
side?):

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2006/hurricanes.html
http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2005/hurricanes.html

What is most interesting to me about Emanuel and Mann's 2006 findings is
that they are based upon the analysis of actual observations, not the
hotly contested models.  They even note that the variability was not
attributable to the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation to which Dr.
Lindzen refers.

Let me just conclude by somewhat randomly quoting the National Academy,
again from their most recent news release (June 22, 2006):
http://www8.nationalacademies.org/onpinews/newsitem.aspx?RecordID=11676

"The committee pointed out that surface temperature reconstructions for
periods before the Industrial Revolution -- when levels of atmospheric
greenhouse gases were much lower -- are only one of multiple lines of
evidence supporting the conclusion that current warming is occurring in
response to human activities, and they are not the primary evidence."

Based upon my exposure to the world of climate change science I find Dr.
Lindzen's commentary surprisingly lacking given his CV.  Perhaps I have
mischaracterized Dr. Lindzen's piece?

David Thomson

PS - here is a reasonable critique of Gore's movie:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0608/p14s02-sten.html
Does Gore overheat global warming?
By Peter N. Spotts | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor