Long ago and far away ... well, actually in the 1950's in Palmdale,
California ... I had four adult tortoises and several juveniles for
pets. I think one was given to me by a neighbor who found it in their
yard. It already had a hole drilled in its shell, so it was probably
already someone's pet.  Then other people gave us found tortoises
because they knew we already had some.  Our fairly large back yard was
fenced with concrete and cinder blocks. The tortoises shared a burrow
under the tool shed.  In nice weather, my mother liked to serve Sunday
lunch on the patio.  My tortoises learned come over to see what was for
lunch.  Besides the usual lettuce, etc., they were fond of any kind of
melon, peas, and especially spiced peaches (clove removed).  While we
were eating lunch they would come right to our feet, set their shell
down, and then crane their necks to watch.   They trained me to roll a
fresh pea their way.  If my aim was bad, and I rolled the pea to one
side of them, they would reach out with a front foot and stop the pea.
Then, eat it.  Watermelon was a big hit, and they would eat it all, rind
and skin included.  However, spiced peaches were clearly their
favorite.  Each tortoise had to be given their own spiced peach, or a
fight would break out.    That was the only food I ever saw them fight
over. My mother, a product of the Depression, did not approve.   When we
watered the lawn (and it was warm) the tortoises would sit under the
sprinkler and eat the wet clover, flowers first.  At other times, just
when I was out in the back yard, they would come over to visit, maybe to
see if there was food, hang out for a while, and then they would amble
off.   I think they had some personality, and they were very aware of
what was going on.  In the end, we moved to Europe for a year, and the
renters in our house let the tortoises go.  So, maybe the story has a
happy ending ...

--
Tom Schweich   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.schweich.com