I was going to avoid jumping into the fray, but . . .

Count me in the camp that appreciates Zar as an introductory text.  I have not
taught a stats class, but Zar is the text assigned for a stats class I had many
years back.  I remember it being good at introducing the concepts and I
continue to use it as a reference today.

Another book that i like that hasn't been mentioned yet is "The Ecological
Detective" by Hilborn and Mangel.  While not a good introductory text, it might
be good as a supplemental book for discussion of use of statistics in
ecological research.

And since Stephen mentioned R...  I have learned most of what I know about R
from Dalgaard's Intro text in concert with the more complete "Modern Applied
Statistcs with S" by Venables and Ripley.

Cheers,
Jeff Hollister

p.s. I too have enjoyed reading this thread.  I don't know when this
fascination with stats texts developed, but a quick perusal of my bookshelf and
I count 12 stats related books.  I will admit to being a bit disturbed by that.