While I cannot comment on whether discrimination exists, I would like to
address the issue of preventing it. Many institutions have adopted equal
opportunity policies, but have not removed the incentive to discriminate,
which puts hiring committees in a very difficult situation. Specifically, it
is not enough to ensure equal pay, maternity benefits and the like -- it is
also necessary that institutions takes steps to avoid punishing departments
which avoid discrimination.

I have taught in academic departments where the faculty had to assume an
overload, including teaching courses for which no one had the proper
background, because the professor in that specialty was on maternity leave.
I have also seen work in a government laboratory grind to a halt when an
essential secretary or administrator went on maternity leave. There are
clearly grounds for concern when a critical employee may suddenly leave
because of pregnancy.

The solutiion to this problem is for universities and other institutions to
take steps to ensure that any affected departments are covered if staff go
on leave (including paternity leave if that is the practice). When a
university says that you have to be an equal opportunity employer, but if
you hire a woman and she goes off on maternity leave you have to do without,
then there is a lot of pressure on the people who do the hiring to try to
get a man.

The bottom line is that maternity leave costs money. If the government or
university administration is willing to pay the costs, then there is no
reason for departments to discriminate. But if a department is told to
implment a policy that could have negative impacts on it, it provides an
incentive to cheat. So we need to put pressure on the people who control the
budgets, not on those caught in the middle.

Bill Silvert
Peral, Portugal

"No good deed goes unpunished."