While I have been storing this recent discussion topic for a later read, I am
assuming your question has not yet been answered, or else you would not have
asked it.  Forgive me if I end up being repetitive.

It seems that so much of our scientific research, modeling, and discussion on
climate change has been focused around the assumption of man's historical
ability to create that "smoking gun" technology that is going to save us all
from the inevitable, detrimental effects of over consumption and energy use.

The problem with this logic is that, while technological advances can no doubt
contribute something to a sustainable future for all of our societies, it does
little to change the dependencies on energy that got us here in the first
place. Our inability to see (visually, as well as, I would argue, through
price) the true effect our individual lifestyles have on this planet has led to
this spiraling overuse of resources that are, globally, running out.

Like any good economist will tell you, a completely inelastic demand curve
(which is what we have now), will do nothing to change supply, regardless of
the form that supply comes in (ethanol, or otherwise).  Inevitably, every human
will contribute some amount of GHGs to the atmosphere in his/her life; it is
only a question of how much.  Climate change research does suggest that there
could be enough energy for many more centuries than are predicted now, if we
were only able to reduce our use as much as possible.

(As a side bar, the inelasticity of demand also tends to drive up costs.  The
effects of this rise in price will have a negative effect on all our economies,
and will do little to bring about the supposed technological advances our
climate modeling hinges on.)

I suggest education is the only possible solution.  So many of us are
completely unaware of how our society is run, and so we have this growing
inability to effect change.  How can we know what to do when we have no idea
how we got here?

As a student of the environment, I see energy everywhere; in the food I eat, in
the times I drive my car, when I turn on the faucet, when I make purchases etc.
 If we were constantly aware of what it ACTUALLY takes to get this society
moving, I believe we might actually start to see some change, if only through
the influence of our purchasing power (since most of us live in capitalist
societies).

Knowing the life-cycles of everyday materials and products can profoundly
affect our use of them.  For example, do we think about the 9,000+ liters of
water it takes to produce one basic meal at McDonalds, or the fossil fuels it
takes to produce just one hamburger (enough to run a small car 20 miles)?
These are the energies that are hidden from us, that we must be aware of if
there is going to be any discussion of climate hedging.

Forgive me for being idealistic.  In addition to seeing energy everywhere, I
also see the energy for change.  I believe it is up to us, as educators and
scientists, to live as the best possible examples, and teach others to do so,
so that they may know how and why to follow.

Ethanol may be a potential supplement, but reduction is the smoking gun.

Kristina Donnelly
University of Michigan
MS Candidate, Aquatic Sciences
MSE Candidate, Environmental and Water Resources Engineering

William Silvert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: In the recent discussion of
biofuels, there seems to be a consensus that
producing ethanol from corn has serious adverse consequences both ecological
and economic. However I have not seen anyone address the broader question of
what alternatives we have in the long run. Fossil fuels will eventually run
out - oil in a century or so at most, coal in several centuries - and while
there may be some wonderous new technology to fill the gap, we cannot count
on that. I suspect that combustible fuels will always be with us, and I
wonder what they will be.

Bill Silvert