At 07:52 AM 2/24/2007, David Inouye wrote:
>The Ecological Society has a variety of fact sheets about ecological
>issues, including ecosystem services:
>http://esa.org/teaching_learning/factsheets.php

ESA has done an excellent job with this, particularly laudable for
its brevity.  However, I couldn't help but notice an agricultural
monoculture in one of the photographs.

Perhaps I am out of step, but I have long drawn what I consider a
crucial distinction between agriculture and horticulture
("domestication" of other life-forms), which require human
intervention for support, and ecosystems, which do not.

Would it be useful to include such a distinction?  Or is the
distinction invalid?

WT