Forest/Soil Ecology Internship
Department of Forest Ecology and Mgt.
University of Wisconsin – Madison

The internship is based in the Flambeau River State forest where we are
evaluating how forest manipulations including coarse woody debris (CWD) and
canopy gaps influence the long-term productivity, biodiversity and carbon
and nutrient cycling of the northern hardwoods forest. For further
information about the project please visit our website:
http://landscape.forest.wisc.edu/projects/flambeau/.

This is funded as a one-time educational experience in applied ecological
research for undergraduate students starting in May-August.  Participants
will gain experience on numerous topics but will largely focus on soil and
CWD respiration, soil sampling, microclimate collections, earthworm
collections, and microbial communities to try to understand what happens to
soil C dynamics following harvesting.

We seek candidates that are reliable, enthusiastic, detail-oriented, and
work well in a group as well as independently. A background in ecology,
biology, soil science, forestry, or biogeochemistry is preferred.

Applicants should also be prepared to live and work in rural north-central
Wisconsin (Hawkins, WI). Since our emphasis will be on field work,
applicants should be capable of vigorous physical activity (e.g., working
long hours outdoors in hot/cold, rainy/snowy, and buggy conditions).
Appointments are fulltime (40 hrs/wk). Though not based in Madison, Interns
will be agents of UW-Madison during research on the Flambeau – this status
provides liability protection and a tax-free monthly stipend of $700.
Housing will be provided.

To apply, please send: 1) a cover letter describing prior
experience/skills, topic preferences, and dates available; 2) resume, and
3) contact information for three references by email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
with ecological internship in the subject line.  Qualified applicants will
be contacted for an interview within 1 week of sending their resume.

Thanks,
Jennifer Martin