From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2007 12:12 PM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: Is biodiversity an ecosystem function?

I agree with Casey.  It is problematic, both linguistically and conceptu=
ally, to refer to biodiversity as =93an=94 ecosystem service.  I think i=
t would be helpful to use the terminology and the typology of natural ca=
pital set forth by Daly and Farley in their textbook on ecological econo=
mics.  Natural capital can take the form of stocks, from which goods flo=
w, or funds, from which services flow.  Some elements of natural capital=
, including biodiversity, may take either form.
 <?xml:namespace prefix =3D o ns =3D "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:o=
ffice" />
Biodiversity may be viewed firstly as a stock from which goods flow, esp=
ecially biodiversity at the species level.  Examples of goods flowing fr=
om the stock of biodiversity include live stock, food, furs, fibers, etc=
.  At the genetic level, the most obvious goods would be genes, for exam=
ple in genetic engineering.  =

 =

Biodiversity may also be viewed as a fund from which services flow, and =
really there is no one authoritative or comprehensive list of such servi=
ces, but they would include all of the services performed by species and=
 of value to humans (e.g., pollination, decomposition) and, at the genet=
ic level, more nuanced services such as the provision of evolutionary ca=
pacity.  At the ecosystem level, one could argue that the =93services=94=
 flowing from the fund of biodiversity would include semi-marketable fun=
ctions such as the provision of aesthetic pleasure, and in such cases th=
e "services" overlap with older typologies of values provided by nature.=
  =

 =

For more details I suggest the Daly/Farley textbook.  =

 =

Cheers,

Brian Czech, Ph.D., President
Center for the Advancement of the Steady State Economy
SIGN THE POSITION on economic growth at: www.steadystate.org/PositiononE=
G.html .
EMAIL RESPONSE PROBLEMS?  Use [EMAIL PROTECTED]

-- Casey terHorst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I've always had difficulty understanding how a static measure (such as
biodiversity, or even something like biomass) can be called a function. =
 This
is partly just a semantic issue, but largely a real issue as well.

Casey

--
Casey terHorst
Department of Biological Science