I don't see a semantic problem here at all. First of all, diversity is =
NOT static, even in short-term ecological time (e.g., richness of =
seedlings in a forest understory can double in a few months, diversity =
of herbivores can change by orders of magnitude in a few weeks, etc.). =
Second, ecosystem function has a variety of meanings in the literature, =
which is partly a consequence of the versatility of the word "function." =
But sticking to the Latin root of function, diversity is certainly part =
of the "performance" of an ecosystem, given that it is a dynamic =
variable. Thus, increasing (or continually varying) levels of diversity =
in a natural ecosystem could be seen as "a process that contributes to =
the well being of people" (one of the many definitions of ecosystem =
function).
Lee Dyer
=20

-- Casey terHorst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I've always had difficulty understanding how a static measure (such as
biodiversity, or even something like biomass) can be called a function. =
=3D
 This
is partly just a semantic issue, but largely a real issue as well.

Casey

--
Casey terHorst
Department of Biological Science