Adam, as you probably know, "threats" come in many forms, not just killing.
>From what I've read and been told, barred owls pose a threat to the survival
of spotted owls through territorial competition, hybridization and, yes,
maybe even outright killing.  I'm not sure I understand your second point,
but I'm sure research into niche separation between these two species is
valid -- so far it appears that the barred owl is a habitat generalist whose
habitat choices and uses overlap that of the spotted owl's more limited
niche.  And I'm also not sure what your third point implies -- I'm sure we
have plenty of barred owl museum specimens.

Warren Aney
Senior Wildlife Ecologist
(503)246-8613

-----Original Message-----
From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of adam herbert
Sent: Sunday, 29 April, 2007 20:33
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: draft recovery plan for northern spotted owls raises questions
about management

1) are barred owls active predators of spotted owls?  if not "threat" seems
a bogus claim
2) at what landscape measure might niche separation be accenuated?
identification of species-specific nesting/prey/acoustic differences might
guide restorative management if marginal spotted owls tolerate some
landscape/habitat difference
3) if barred owls are to be blasted, every single one should have full
gut/parasite/reproductive analysis and museum quality specimen of skeleton
and skin made

Adam Herbert

"recycling rewards consumption" - William McDonough