Warren,
1)  I did not realize that spotted and barred owls may hybridize, that is
certainly a genetic "threat" from a biodiversity argument
2)  my point about niche differentiation is from an adaptive management
standpoint, one striving to be less invasive than exterminating barred
owls.  if some behavioral difference of spotted owls could be exploited in
lanscape management it might allow for futher niche differentiation.
perhaps too idealistic if barred owls are such generalists.
3)  enough barred owl skins may exist in a state museum, but what about your
insitution?  including juveniles, molt plummage, leucistic variants.  plus,
would not stomach content, parasite workup etc. not be valuable
information?  a useful teaching tool I should think, one that derives more
ethical consequence for our actions than just landfilling the dead owls

Adam

"recycling rewards consumption" - William McDonough