Actually, it's hard to find cases where applied research in and of
itself has ever lead to anything. It's almost always, if not always,
applications of stuff learned via basic research.

"So easy it seemed once found, which yet
unfound most would have thought impossible"

John Milton

Robert G. Hamilton
Department of Biological Sciences
Mississippi College
P.O. Box 4045
200 South Capitol Street
Clinton, MS 39058
Phone: (601) 925-3872
FAX (601) 925-3978

>>> Liane Cochran-Stafira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 5/8/2007 11:34 AM >>>
Hmmm,
If we start viewing science through the "social relevance" lens, what
will happen to basic research - i.e. non-applied, question oriented
work rather than problem driven work?  I can think of many examples
where basic research has provided unexpected applied benefits.  If
grant proposals are weighed on relevance, won't we lose the ability
to conduct basic research?

Liane Cochran-Stafira

At 07:09 AM 5/8/2007, Dan Tufford wrote:
> >From Futures 39(7)
>

>Scott, Alister, 2007. Peer review and the social relevance of
science.
>doi:10.1016/j.futures.2006.12.009
><http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.futures.2006.12.009>
>

>Abstract
>
>Recent science-policy debates have emphasised a growing role for
science in
>helping to address some of society's most pressing challenges such as
global
>environmental change, caring for the needs of ageing populations, and
>competitiveness in a global age. Other 'relevance' pressures include
drives
>for public accountability, pressure for the 'democratisation' of
science and
>demands from industry for usable knowledge. Underlying the question of
the
>social relevance of science is the matter of decision-making and
quality
>control in science, usually via the peer-review process. Peer review
plays a
>central role in many of the key moments in science. It is the main
form of
>decision-making around grant selection, academic publishing and the
>promotion of individual scientists within universities and research
>institutions. It also underpins methods used to evaluate scientific
>institutions. Yet, peer review as currently practised can be narrowly
>scientific, to the exclusion of other pressing quality criteria
relating to
>social relevance. It is often also controlled and practised by
scientists to
>the exclusion of wider groups that might bring valuable perspectives.
This
>article sets out to examine peer review through the lens of social
>relevance. It challenges peer review as currently practised and makes
some
>suggestions for ways forward.
>
>Regards,
>
>Daniel L. Tufford, Ph.D.
>
>University of South Carolina
>
>Department of Biological Sciences
>
>209A Sumwalt                    (office)
>
>701 Sumter St, Room 401    (mail)
>
>Columbia, SC 29208
>
>Ph. 803-777-3292, Fx: 803-777-3292
>
>e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]