-----Original Message-----
From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Shannon Torrence
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2007 9:16 AM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: Peer review, another perspective

Dear Mr. Tyson et al.,

=20

Another way to get articles is to write to the author (via email) for a
reprint request.  I recently transitioned from the academic world to a
government job (and therefore do not have journal access), and
contacting the author is a good way of getting articles.  Providing
reprints (for me pdf preferred) is in the best interest of the author
because his/her citation index increases with the number of people that
read the article.  An increase in a person's citation index can increase
the probability of receiving grants, getting tenure, etc.  Thus, paying
for a journal article is almost NEVER necessary.

=20

Although I have never published anything in Science, authors of the
article in question probably do not profit from the sale of online
articles.  I have not profited from the sale of my publications (maybe
no one has bought them??).  Also, most of the time the authors PAY to
have their manuscripts published in journals.

=20

On a different subject, I think, the fact that I do not have journal
access as person responsible for conserving natural resources of a state
is counter-intuitive.  But, as I explained, obtaining journal articles
(for free) is not difficult.

=20

Shannon Torrence

Coastal Ecologist