I agree that community-based conservation has been around for a long
time, although the phrase has become part of the NGO lexicon
relatively recently. Examples would be the Bishnoi community of India,
who have practiced conservation for centuries, and also the occurrence
of sacred groves in India and elsewhere. I do not know any
authoritative references off-hand, but Wikipedia has entries under
"Bishnoi" and "Sacred Groves of India" which could be a good starting
point.

Nirmal Bhagabati.