Wendee--What are the core features of "community-based conservation"? If =
they boil down to community-based decisions about use of land and =
natural resources, then it has probably been around for thousands of =
years, but without a buzzword to label it.

As a recent example, the ejido (communal) system of land-holding and =
land use in Mexico dates to the Mexican revolution, I believe.

In Peten, Guatemala, local villages leave forest fragments referred to =
as "astilleros" (wood lots) in the landscape, for communal use in =
extracting fire wood, building supplies, etc. I have no idea how far =
back in time this practice may extend.

I suspect communal decisions about land use have been made for as long =
as humans have been human.

Dave Whitacre