The fixed field length is characteristic of most database programs and can
be a real nuisance. It helps make the programs efficient, which is nice if
you have sets of many thousands of data, but for limited data sets
efficiency is not important.

About ten years ago I wrote my own database program which has no such
restriction. It was however a primitive command-line type of program which
was originally developed under Unix and modified to run under DOS, but I
never wrote a Windows version. If anyone wants to tackle it I will be happy
to send it out or put the source code on my website. It is written in pretty
standard C.

The data files are in simple ASCII text and a typical entry would look like
this:

%D 2007/07/07
%S Gorilla gorilla
%L Antarctica
%N Hey, this was a really interesting field trip, let me tell you about it
.... (field of unlimited length)

It has some pretty basic reporting facilities, and might be worth looking at
if you have nothing better at hand. Omeone might like to compile it, hack it
a bit to make it better, and distribute it. If you use Linux, it should be
trivial, and as I recall the DOS version was pretty easy too.

Bill Silvert