Michael,

Christian is correct, by using a "memo" field in Access, you can store up
to 65,536 characters instead of  just 256 in a "text" field.

However, just because you can put that many characters in a single field
does not mean it is the best design. You also mention wanting to be able to
search notes by date, species, location, and other fields, so it sounds
like those are separate fields (columns) in the Access database.  That is
certainly a good idea since it will be much easier to search or sort using
particular fields with consistent values than to be looking for text within
a long text field. As someone who has taught database design, I would
encourage you to divide the text into meaningful fields instead of just
putting it together in one large field. Even broad categories would help.
Another trick is to add some "yes/no" fields that you can use to indicate
whether or not the text relates to features of interest.  For example if
erosion is something you are interested in and your field notes describing
a location sometimes discusses the erosional features observed,  I would
add a "yes/no" field for erosion so that I could easily find those notes
without having to search for the words used to describe the condition in
the notes.  It is probably faster if you add those fields and fill in those
values as you add the notes, but you can also add them later.

I doubt this will be a problem, but Access only uses the first 255
characters in a "memo" field for sorting purposes

On the other hand, if your field notes are primarily long descriptive texts
that you want to analyze qualitatively, there is other software designed
for that type of analysis.  One is
NVivo,  http://www.qsrinternational.com/products_nvivo.aspx
which is primarily used for qualitative research with textual data, often
transcripts of conversations or interviews.  For example, sociologists
might use it to "code" various segments of the text to identify recurring
themes and behaviors.  You can apply multiple codes to the same text, so I
assume you could code the text in your field notes with date, species and
location information.

Jeff

Jeffrey D. Campbell, Ph.D.
Campbell Systems Consulting