In my mind, this is just chimerical geoengineering fix that distracts us
from focusing on permanent, structural changes that can ultimately
decarbonize our economic system. Here's some issues associated with iron
fertilization:

1.      Phytoplankton will only remove CO2 from air permanently if they die
and sink to the bottom of the sea; however, large portions may be consumed
by zooplankton, which in turn will be consumed by larger species. Some
researchers believe this could release most of the CO2 back into the
atmosphere via respiration; recent studies using thorium as a proxy for CO2
in the ocean indicates that only a small portion of carbon ultimately sinks
to the bottom of the ocean when iron fertilization is utilized;
2.      Iron fertilization give rise to a plethora of different
phytoplankton species, some of which might be undesirable for food web, or
even toxic in some cases;
3.      A model developed at Ohio University estimates that even fertilizing
20% of the oceans that are High Nutrient-Low Chlorine (those areas conducive
to seeding) would only reduce concentrations of CO2 by about 38ppm, and we
ain't going to fertilize anywhere near that extent of the oceans;
4.      Some studies point out that when phytoplankton begins to die and
decay it results in more consumption of oxygen through the respiration
process; this could result in anoxic or oxygen deprived "dead zones." Beyond
threatening lots of species, anoxic environments produce lots of methane and
nitrous oxides, two greenhouse gases with much higher global warming
potential than CO2. The nitrous oxide production alone might negate all of
the purported benefits of seeding according to some recent research.

Dr. Wil Burns
Senior Fellow, International Environmental Law
Santa Clara University School of Law
500 El Camino Real, Loyola 101
Santa Clara, CA 95053 USA
Phone: 408.551.3000 x6139