From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news on behalf of =
John Mickelson
Sent: Tue 8/14/2007 2:12 PM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: Carbon Calculator (and very interesting ocean carbon =
trials!)
=20
Hi,

Had an error returned, linking to enclosed Youtube
submittal.

Not to hijack the link, but, in searching, came upon a
very interesting carbon "experiment" that I hadnt seen
before,=20

A for profit company PLANKTOS (www.planktos.com) is
proposing to dump iron bearing particulates in various
parts of the worlds ocean on a regular basis to
(ostensibly)"restore plankton populations and
sequester carbon" (see below).

I apologize if this has been discussed before, (didnt
see it in an archive search) but very curious as to
folks reactions and science-based impressions of the
approach.

)Apparently WWF and Green-Peace arent immediately
among the projects supporters...)

-John

"Planktos, Inc. is a for-profit ("ecorestoration"
posters quotes) company based in San Francisco with
offices in the European Union and British Columbia.
Our primary focus is to restore damaged habitats in
the ocean and on land. Through iron-stimulated
plankton blooms in the oceans and afforestation
projects in Europe, we are able to generate carbon
credits. We then sell these offsets to individuals and
businesses that are looking to reduce their carbon
footprint and lower their impact on climate change.
The profits from the sale of these carbon credits
finance further ecosystem restoration projects."

Graphical presentation at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DUPF2HyX8SrI

--- "Thomson, David Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sorry I can't help you out with your specific
> question, but I can't =3D
> resist sharing a link with you to a video from some
> British youths that =3D
> takes a very novel approach to explaining carbon
> credits or offsets:=3D20
>=20
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D3Df3_CYdYDDpk
>=20
> I am reply to the list just in case there are a few
> scientists out there =3D
> who have not come across it.  It appears the BBC
> covered this, but I =3D
> don't have TV, so the whole western world might
> know... apologies if =3D
> that is the case. =3D20
>=20
> Enjoy,
> David
>=20
>=20

"All persons, living or dead, are purely coincidental".
K. Vonnegut