The answer is much simpler. The Theory of Evolution explains those data.
No other theory does. Someone wants to propose another theory to explain
those data, I'd be all ears, but my ears are closed the "theories" that
are nothing more than criticisms of other theories.

Rob Hamilton

"So easy it seemed once found, which yet
unfound most would have thought impossible"

John Milton

Robert G. Hamilton
Department of Biological Sciences
Mississippi College
P.O. Box 4045
200 South Capitol Street
Clinton, MS 39058
Phone: (601) 925-3872
FAX (601) 925-3978

>>> Russell Burke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 8/27/2007 8:09 AM >>>
Carissa:
you've got quite a collection of concerns about evolution here, and
you're asking a lot of readers to go thru them all and teach you a
basic
course in evolution.  too bad you didn't have one already, then it
would
be possible to start this discussion at some point later than where it
was in Darwin's time--we're on to more advanced issues now.  that's
right, almost every one of your concerns here was familiar to Darwin
and
he quite nicely rebutted them in his time.  sure, he didn't ask about
molecular evolution, but replace the molecular terms in your email
with
parts of the vertebrate eye and he answered it 150 years ago.  ID
arguments are so old hat by now that they're pretty boring.  sorry if
that's offensive, I don't mean to be.

except maybe the origin of life question, which is quite separate from
evolution--evolution being change over generations, evolution doesn't
specifically address origin of life.  that's a different issue that's
often conflated with evolution.

you asked why the scientific community is so convinced of evolution?
I'd say three main reasons.

1.  there is a gigantic amount of morphological, behavioral,
molecular,
and fossil evidence to support it. pick up any basic text book in
evolution and you'll see what I mean.

2. it has another characteristic that scientists like: using the
theory
of evolution, we can and do generate testable hypotheses, and by
testing
them, we practice science.  in fact, many thousands of tests of
evolution have been performed, and evolution is holding up quite well.

3. it is the only game in town.  no other theory of "how the
biological
world got to be this way" has evidence supporting it and generates
testable hypotheses.  if you or someone else comes up with an
alternative, you can replace the theory of evolution with your own
ideas
when you produce substantial amounts of data and successfully use it
generate and test meaningful hypotheses.

especially given your background and institutional placement, its
surprising that you haven't made better use of the tremendous
resources
at your disposal to educate yourself on the evidence for evolution,
and
at least bring your education up to current issues.  I'll bet the
people
in your lab would be glad to hear your thoughts, and if not, you are
surrounded by resources that can answer your question: "why is the
scientific community so convinced of evolution?"

RBurke

>>> Carissa Shipman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 08/26/07 10:08 PM >>>
I am a biology student at Temple University and I have
conducted an NSF funded systematics project for the order
Hymenoptera at the American Museum of Natural History. My
question is why is the scientific community so convinced of
evolution? There are very few publications concerning
evolution at the molecular or biochemical level. Most
scientists are baffled at how such molecular systems such
as blood clotting actual evolved in a step by step manner.
It looks to me like many of the molecular inter workings all
needed to be there simultaneously for the end product to
function properly. The biosynthesis of AMP is just as
baffling. How could that have happened in a step by step
fashion? You can speculate, but no evolutionist has the
answer. So if you can not explain how the most nitty gritty
machines of life "molecules" learned to function in the
intricate ways that they do why are you so certain that
everything evolved? Science is looking at the details. All
science textbooks I have read have relayed very little
evidence of evolution at the molecular level. They just say
it happened. Since Darwinian evolution has published very
few papers concerning molecular evolution it should perish.
Systematics addresses genetic similarities between species,
but it does not address exactly how those genetic
differences and similarities came to be. There maybe fossils
and genes, but you need more than this. I am not convinced
of evolution, but still choose to educate myself in what it
teaches and believes. How do scientists explain how even the
slightest mutation in the human genome is highly detrimental
most of the time? If even the slightest change occurs in our
genome it is oftentimes fatal. Believing that this mechanism
lead to all the species we see today takes a great deal of
faith.For instance if even one step of the blood clotting
process were disturbed the effects would be disastrous.
Also, why does evolution leave out mathematical statistics
of how each mutation arose. TPA a component of blood
clotting has 4 domains. If we attempted to shuffle the genes
for these four domains the odds of getting all four domains
together is 30,000 to the fourth power, and that is just for
TPA! Calculating mutation rates and the odds of getting
certain genes to match up perfectly for the ultimate
function shows us that it takes more faith to believe that
we evolved from primordial slime. The earth has had
thousands of lightning bolts hit it every year and we have
not seen life spawn from molecules. If evolution happened we
would see it reoccuring time and time again from the bottom.
Why have we not seen it, because conditions have not been
perfect? I do not deny adaptation within species, but this
is far different than the assumptions of macro evolution. If
an evolutionist can challenge my arguments I would gladly
like to hear your rebuttal. Publications for molecular
evolution use many words such as "unleashed". How was it
unleashed, what were the step by step mechanisms that you
can say for certain occurred, leaving macro leapages out of
the picture? You see fossils, but you have no detailed
explanations as to how one may have turned into the other at
the molecular level. If you can not explain it at the
molecular level you have nothing to base your assumptions
on. Also all the breeds of dogs are very different from one
another and some of their skeletal structures look
unrelated. The different types of dogs that you see arrived
through intelligent interaction, not evolutionary processes.
Change occurs in nature to a limited extent. That is all.
Sincerely, Carissa Shipman