Carissa,

Based on the particular kinds of questions you ask, it's fairly obvious to
me that you've been reading lots of intelligent design propaganda (I can
especially see the influences of Behe and Dembski in your questions).

As someone who has been extremely interested and active in
evolution/creationism/intelligent design debates over the past handful of
years, I would strongly recommend that you read a short article that was
published in Natural History magazine a few years ago.  It's relatively
short and easy to read, and it contains three statments by leading
intelligent design advocates (Behe, Dembski, and Wells), each of which is
followed by rebuttals from three evolutionary biologists (Miller, Pennock,
and Scott).  The article ends with a short overview by Barbara Forrest (an
evolutionary biologist who is very interested in science education).

I really do think you would profit from taking a look at this paper, and
many of your questions are addressed therein.  It can be found here:

http://www.actionbioscience.org/evolution/nhmag.html