Although I agree that evolutionary theory doesn't (technically) threaten the
"notion" of God, it does provide evidence that most (if not all) creation
myths are just plain wrong.  And other scientific disciplines have provided
evidence that many of the other "stories" written in various sacred texts
are wrong.  So why continue to believe in God at all?  I just don't get it.
 Everything we know about the way the world works runs counter to the idea
that there's a god (or "gods"...monotheistic or not), yet people insist on
continuing to believe it.  Perhaps that's yet another sign that we humans
are not perfect.  But then again, as Gene Roddenberry said (yes, I'm quoting
Gene Roddenberry:  "We must question the story logic of having an
all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty humans, and then blames
them for his own mistakes."

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 21:20:33 -0700, Ashwani Vasishth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>At 12:46 PM -0800 8/28/07, Tessler, David F (DFG) wrote:
>>The theory of evolution does not threaten the notion of God...
>>

>These are good points.  But if we make a distinction between pantheistic
and atheistic spiritual religions and monotheistic institutional religion,
the problem lies with the latter.  These all require a relatively
unmediated, and somewhat direct relationship between Man and God.
Institutional religions all need humans to be privileged within God's
schema.  That's the nub of it, it seems to me.  A story that tells of
creation as millennia removed from the emergence of humans just would not
hack it, within any of the institutional religions.